Automobile airbag and restraint company Takata Corp. of Tokyo have announced an airbag recall that will affect approximately 3.4 million Toyota, Lexus, Pontiac , Honda, Nissan, Infiniti and Mazda cars, trucks, and SUVs.
According to the recall report filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the passengers side frontal airbag may have been equipped with front passenger air bag inflators which could have been assembled with improperly manufactured propellant wafers.. The airbag could rupture and launch metal fragments, causing serious injury to occupants. The recall includes both the passenger side frontal air bags that were originally installed in the vehicle, as well as replacement air bags installed as replacement service parts. The vehicles involved in this recall include:
- 2002-2004 Toyota Corolla
- 2002-2004 Toyota Corolla Matrix
- 2002-2004 Toyota Sequoia
- 2002-2004 Toyota Tundra
- 2002-2004 Lexus SC
- 2002-2004 Pontiac Vibe
- 2001-2003 Honda Civic
- 2002-2003 Honda CR-V
- 2002 Honda Odyssey
- 2001-2003 Nissan Maxima
- 2001-2003 Nissan Pathfinder
- 2003 Infiniti FX35
- 2003 Infiniti FX45
- 2001-2003 Infiniti I35
- 2002-2003 Infiniti QX4
- 2003-2004 Mazda 6
- 2004 Mazda RX-8
For More Information About The Recall Call:
- Toyota and Lexus owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331.
- Pontiac Vibe owners may contact GM at 1-800-521-7300.
- Honda owners may contact Honda automobile customer service at 1-800-999-1009.
- Nissan and Infiniti owners may contact Nissan Customer Service at 1-800-647-7261.
- Mazda owners may contact Mazda at 1-800-222-5500, option #6.